Friday, January 18, 2013

Oh, Lance, how you let me down...

I just saw the first part of Lance Armstrong's interview with Oprah this morning.  My reaction was sadness.

Oh, Lance, how you let me down. I read your book "It's not About the Bike," followed your career, cheered as you raced down the Tour d' France lines to victory.  I believed in you, and looked to your example -- that one can overcome all odds -- a single-parent childhood, even cancer -- and be who you were meant to be.  Not just a millionaire, not just the best bike rider in the world, but one with integrity -- one who sticks to his principles even as others give in to weakness.

I watched as you calmly and confidently denied all charges against you, and wondered -- why are those guys picking on you? And thought -- is it because you had redefined the boundaries of what the human body could do? But then, you are beyond human, superhuman -- a god? Maybe you thought so yourself,  and then comes the hubris.

I guess it is not so difficult to succumb to the temptation of seeing yourself on top of the world -- a master of the universe. How far you need to fall now...

-----

I just watched a continuation of Lance's interview, and now my reaction is one of outrage.  How could anyone do something like that? Live a lie and shove this lie right into the face of the public.  The public can not be blamed for having believed him -- he was playing this perfect role of innocence, as he himself said "a perfect story".  I could see no remorse, no apologies. No regret for having caused pain in people's lives -- those people he tore down and sued for having told the truth and stuck to the truth.  And how about those people who believed in him and looked up to him.  All a lie.  All a lie.  Really reminds me of ancient Greek and Roman mythology -- the protagonist is full of hubris, extreme pride.  Then comes the fall.    

No comments: